My daughter LOVES herself some lemon chicken every time we order Chinese food. But I personally have a little bit of a problem with Chinese food. Firstly, it is outrageously expensive - at least where we live. And secondly, it is loaded with MSG and sodium. So in an effort to keep us a little healthier, I have learned to make a delicious lemon chicken myself! Healthier, less expensive and the best part? My daughter likes mine better! Win, win, win!
- 4 chicken breasts (or your favorite chicken pieces) - free range if possible
- salt & black pepper
- olive oil - Herbs de Provence Olive Oil (or unflavored)
- Herbs de Provence or your favorite herb (add if using unflavored olive oil)
Ingredients for Lemon Balsamic Glaze
Directions for the Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil then spray it with cooking spray.
- Pat the chicken pieces with a paper towel to dry.
- Place chicken on the baking sheet and brush it with olive oil.
- *If using unflavored olive oil, sprinkle the chicken with your favorite herbs.
- Salt & pepper both sides of the chicken.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the oven.
- Brush each chicken piece with the lemon glaze then turn each piece over.
- Brush the other side of the chicken with the glaze.
- Place the chicken back in the oven and bake a total of 10-15 minutes and
- Every 5 minutes, brush lemon glaze over the top of the chicken pieces.
- The total cooking time should be 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the chicken breasts.
- If the chicken isn't browned enough, place it under the broiler for 1-2 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and place the pieces on a plate.
- Cover loosely and let it rest for 5 minutes minutes.
- When ready to serve, place the chicken on a plate and drizzle with lemon glaze.
Directions for the Lemon Balsamic Glaze:
- Spray a small saucepan with cooking spray.
- Pour the honey into the pan, and bring it to a boil.
- Boil at med-low heat for 5 minutes or until the honey turns a darker golden brown.
- Turn down the heat and slowly add lemon balsamic vinegar, lemon zest, salt & pepper.
- Whisk well and bring back to a boil.
- Boil over a low heat until the honey-vinegar mixture has reduced 10-15 minutes.
- Whisk often.
- The glaze will thicken so once it has reduced, take it off the heat and reheat right before drizzling over the chicken.
We love your oils and use them daily. We are on a strict diet and your oils help us live a healthier life. Love your calendar and recipes. Keep the recipes coming. Always looking for good ideas for food preparation.