My daughter LOVES herself some lemon chicken every time we order Chinese food. But I personally have a little bit of a problem with Chinese food. Firstly, it is outrageously expensive - at least where we live. And secondly, it is loaded with MSG and sodium. So in an effort to keep us a little healthier, I have learned to make a delicious lemon chicken myself! Healthier, less expensive and the best part? My daughter likes mine better! Win, win, win!
- 4 chicken breasts (or your favorite chicken pieces) - free range if possible
- salt & black pepper
- olive oil - Herbs de Provence Olive Oil (or unflavored)
- Herbs de Provence or your favorite herb (add if using unflavored olive oil)
Ingredients for Lemon Balsamic Glaze
Directions for the Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil then spray it with cooking spray.
- Pat the chicken pieces with a paper towel to dry.
- Place chicken on the baking sheet and brush it with olive oil.
- *If using unflavored olive oil, sprinkle the chicken with your favorite herbs.
- Salt & pepper both sides of the chicken.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the oven.
- Brush each chicken piece with the lemon glaze then turn each piece over.
- Brush the other side of the chicken with the glaze.
- Place the chicken back in the oven and bake a total of 10-15 minutes and
- Every 5 minutes, brush lemon glaze over the top of the chicken pieces.
- The total cooking time should be 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the chicken breasts.
- If the chicken isn't browned enough, place it under the broiler for 1-2 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and place the pieces on a plate.
- Cover loosely and let it rest for 5 minutes minutes.
- When ready to serve, place the chicken on a plate and drizzle with lemon glaze.
Directions for the Lemon Balsamic Glaze:
- Spray a small saucepan with cooking spray.
- Pour the honey into the pan, and bring it to a boil.
- Boil at med-low heat for 5 minutes or until the honey turns a darker golden brown.
- Turn down the heat and slowly add lemon balsamic vinegar, lemon zest, salt & pepper.
- Whisk well and bring back to a boil.
- Boil over a low heat until the honey-vinegar mixture has reduced 10-15 minutes.
- Whisk often.
- The glaze will thicken so once it has reduced, take it off the heat and reheat right before drizzling over the chicken.